John Spry Community School is located in the heart of the Little
Village community of Pilsen facing Marshall Boulevard. A community
school comprised of Pre-K through High School students, Spry is located
within a bilingual community in close proximity to the major commercial
strip at 26th street, which takes great effort in fostering pride in
the language and culture of our students. The student population is
estimated at 1000. The heavily populated neighborhood is characterized
by large families who are dedicated and committed to expanding their
economic and educational opportunities with a strong emphasis on hard
work. The interaction of community resources and the school is a
Vision for our School
As a community of
learners, it is our collective intent to provide a challenging and
supportive environment, which will enable our students to succeed in
the 21st century. We believe the emphasis on the following goals will
create an environment in which our students will reach their potential,
emotionally, socially, and academically.
To realize our mission we will focus on:
- Increasing reading and math scores to or above grade level
- Empowering our students and families for educational success
- Meeting the special needs of students, effectively and quickly
- Emphasizing standards-based instruction with all classes working at grade level
- Lowering class size
- Using different methods of instruction to meet the needs of the student
- Involving parents through training and engagement
- Staff development
Key Features of the high school
- Late start schedule for students (9:00 am - 4:15 pm)
- Work experience internships required for credit.
- Standards-based, thematic, cross curricular instruction
- 3rd Year students attend College Bridge Program
- Intensive three year educational program which allows students to graduate at the end of the third year.
- Service Learning curriculum with community involvement and a family education approach.
- Physical Education/Health/JROTC program which promotes teamwork, provides discipline, and fosters respect and leadership.
Community Links High School
2400 S Marshall Blvd
Chicago, IL 60623